Sunday, April 4, 2010

Finally some photos!




Kyoko did a home stay in America about 12 years ago with my piano teacher and my teacher's husband got us in touch. While I was in America, Kyoko was helping me with Japanese via Skype. She came to visit Tokyo last week (from Hokkaido, the big island in the north where she lives) and we met for the first time! Here we are at Ueno park (quite famous) and you can see cherry blossom trees in the background, which are currently in full bloom here.






Some photos of my apartment! It was pretty plain when I arrived and had blue curtains that depressed me so I bought some things and brought in some bright colors.
The salsa team I'm dancing with, Esperanza, after a performance at the Hilton in Shinjuku, Tokyo. For my first performance, at the end of May, my dance partner will be the girl on the right, Gon.
The happy couple whose wedding party I was fortunate enough to attend. They are also teachers on my salsa team here.
At a shrine in Kamakura (just south of Tokyo) that has a stunning garden.
Me and Robin with a student who we like very much, Ya suo. He is 73 years old, in good health and a nearly fluent English speaker. He worked on TV dramas for his entire life and is now enjoying retirement. We have gone out for meals together on several occasions.
Some wild Shibuya fashions. These are high school students.
With Nick and Robin in front of a shrine on top of a mountain (Mt. Takao) that we spent the day hiking. Robin is my Australian coworker and Nick trained with us.
John got managed to get about 10 minutes on Japanese television so here we are watching the recording and teasing him!
With Daiki, our good friend John (who is the one that inspired me to come to Japan) and Daiki's family on New Years.
The full time Japanese staff at the school! From left to right, Ke i (assistant manager), Ka ori (manager) and Kay ou (head teacher). There is a very fun atmosphere at the school.
With Chassen and our friend Daiki editing photos taken from a kooky Japanese-style photo booth. It is called "pericura" and is quite popular here. The photos are then printed as stickers and/or sent to your email.
This statue of the dog named Hachiko is located in front of Shibuya station and right next to my school. The story is that Hachiko's owner took him here daily, but one day he never came back for Hachiko because he had died. Afterwards, Hachiko returned every day waiting for his owner. This memorial statue is now the most convenient and popular meeting spot in Shibuya and the square is usually packed with people. By coming in the morning (on the way to work), we caught it when it wasn't so crowded.
A view of the rainbow bridge at night with Tokyo in the background. In the foreground is the mini statue of liberty. The photo was take from Odaiba.
The Fuji television building in Odaiba, which is next to Tokyo. We took an elevator to the sphere at the top where there are incredible 360 degree views of Tokyo.
Chassen with some male hosts on the street. Japanese girls pay to chat with guys like this in host clubs around Tokyo. The hairstyles here have a striking resemblance to anime characters!
This was taken when my good friend Chassen visited. This store is located in Harajuku, which is reputed as the most fashion-forward district in Tokyo. This Japanese sales lady, however, is by no means dressed in an outrageous way. Every day I see fashions on the streets that make my jaw drop - sometimes because they're gorgeous, sometimes because they're outrageous
During my first week at the school they held a big welcoming/goodbye party for me, the other new teacher, and the two departing teachers. There were about 50 students who attended.
The view from my classroom! It is the Shibuya crosswalk, know as the "scramble," and is the busiest crosswalk in the world. It could be called the Times Square of Tokyo.

This is our training group of 14 teachers from the U.S., Australia and Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment